IS ENGINE OIL IMPORTANT?
Have you ever wondered sometime when you browse through mudah.my or used car website you saw several new cars having a very cheap price tag on them. Further along your reading you found out the car has been severely damaged in terms of the engine and transmission. Why is that happen? It’s a new car isn’t it? It should have at least 3 year of heavy usage without problem. And sometimes you see an ancient Perodua Kancil still running swiftly on the Plus Highway. Simply it doesn’t make sense. This is most likely because of the maintenance. Like everything else in this world, car need care and attention from time to time.
When you purchased a new car, you best need a specific way to drive the car. This is because the car is brand new and it needed a proper engine braking. You can learn more about how to drive new car on Youtube (Conquer Driving). After your car hits 1000 Miles, you best need to do a few things such as engine oil change, oil filter and many more. This is important as after hitting 1000 miles, your car produced a lot of carbon and what we call as metal flake in the cylinder. It also cools down an internal combustion engine, which creates a lot of heat. And it cleans engine parts, which can get dirty. Engine oil turns dark mean they are doing their job perfectly of capturing dust and many more nasty thing.
If you ask your mechanic, they say you should change your oil every 3,000 miles or less, but today technology in lubricant advancement, I think you can get away with changing it every 5,000 miles. Engine oil is very important as it is the main lubricant that keep every single part in your mechanical engine oiled and reduce the friction significantly. Without a proper care of the EO, your car will have the common problem such as burnt gasket, burst valve and many more expensive fixes which can even lead to overhauling your engine. This could easily cost you thousand when you can actually save that by changing your EO on time. Change the EO when it hit the recommended miles or when the duration of the services is overdue. Whichever comes first. How to read the number on the label? You often see number like SW 40 and more. The number represent the viscosity of the oil. Take a look at this chart,
Basically, choose the number according to your environment and the style of driving. About the brands? It’s a never-ending fight of words, curse and tears. Choose what you think best. Everyone has their own favorite brand. For me, I choose the Castrol EDGE 5W-40. This is because every time I change the oil, the oil is still in a good condition and you can feel the performance of the oil.
Also you need to choose between mineral, semi synthetic and fully synthetic. The best is fully synthetic but it is a bit pricey. But hey, its your car so why not spent a few more dough for your baby.
How to change your EO?
Well if you do not want the hassle of having oil all over your body, getting down on the dirty floor, the fear of being below your car and many more fear, just send it to your nearest workshop and watch your car being service while you can sip the free mineral water in the waiting bay. But, if you are the type of person who likes to get dirty and really want to know your car better, you can change it yourself. In this way you get to know your car better and improve your relationship. But beware as this need a few crucial steps to complete. Without it you may damage your car.
- Before you get under the vehicle, the best activity is warm it up temporarily by having a brisk drive around or leave it sitting idle for around five minutes. This can help to make the oil less thick and easier to drain.
- You’ll have to jack up your car, so make sure you’re qualified to handle the jack and please make sure you find the right spot to jack up your car. THIS IS IMPORTANT as it can damaged the body frame and damage your body panel or even can slip over when you are doing the services.
- Find your car drain plug and unscrew the drain plug and drain all of the old oil into your oil pan. Be sure to use the correct tool and make sure you have a place to hold the oil when you open the plug. The oil will come right away
- Once all of the oil is drained, Clean the drain plug and install the drain plug back securely.
- Go back to your engine and remove the old oil filter with your oil filter wrench. Use the right tool and note that they will be a little oil inside the filter itself. Keep a rag cloth near you.
- Lubricate the oil filter rubber gasket with some new motor oil. This help to make the gasket more durable
- Screw in the new oil filter. Do not over tight the filter as it could loosen by time.
- Fill in the oil using the correct funnel. Check the oil level after you have fill in the oil. Be sure not to over fill it. Use the recommended oil level depending on your car.
- With a dipstick, double check your oil level to be sure you’ve added enough.
- Start your car and check for any leakage and then check the oil level again.
You are good to go now. And that is all you need to know about the engine oil of your car. Have fun driving around and be sure to check other posts from us.